What Do Christ & Psychiatric Drugs Have To Do With One Another?

The question addressed in this entry really concerns the relationship between Christ's followers and the use of psychiatric drugs. I found an incredibly insightful interview series, which I have linked below, addressing the realities of psychiatric drugs and their effects. I am pretty sure most Americans have either taken a drug in this category of medicine or have a close friend or relative who has had this experience. The larger question that supersedes the issue of whether or not they actually work (and the evidence is far from conclusive that they work for the good of those taking them and actually weighs heavily against their positive effectiveness) is whether or not they are a viable option for believers. Sure, we all struggle with attentiveness in long meetings or the ability to concentrate from time to time, but should we all go around popping Ritalin as if it is the new flavor of Certs? Some believers would object by saying that God has made these drugs and they are therefore permissible. However, not everything that God has made is free from the tainting of the Fall. Please remember that just because it is what the doctor ordered does not mean that it is good for you.

Downcast feelings and depression are a reality for all humans as everyone will ultimately face certain circumstances that will not be pleasant or worse. For the believer, such times force one to ask where or from whom will he find relief. The Psalmist clearly states that the believer's hope is not in man or the creation that points to the Sovereign God, but the Lord Himself. King David was certainly a candidate for clinical depression as were the OT prophets, the NT apostles, and others throughout Scripture. I am afraid that we are too quick to turn to easier options such as taking a pill than the hard, patience-building exercise of seeking and trusting Christ in times of difficulty. Of course there are rare and difficult situations that may call for the use of such medicines, but the stakes are way too high to flippantly take them without careful consideration. Think for yourself on this issue. Begin with the two following links.

1. The interview series conducted by Joost Nixon. Note: He interviews some non-believers who are experts in Psychology and Psychiatry, so you cannot simply dismiss this link as biased. Also, for anyone who does not partake in alcoholic beverages, please overlook the theme of the website to hear the truth of this series.
http://www.stannespub.com/newdraught/

2. A short paper written by John Piper on William Cowper, who greatly struggled with deep and dark depression . Cowper tried to commit suicide on several occasions and struggled with depression all the days of his life, including post-conversion. He wrote several of the best hymns that you and I sing regularly such as "God Moves in a Mysterious Way" and "There is a Fountain Filled with Blood" and "O for a Closer Walk with God."
http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Biographies/1463_Insanity_and_Spiritual_Songs_in_the_Soul_of_a_Saint/

The purpose of this entry is not to argue for my personal position, although you can probably take an accurate guess from my statements above. My hope is to expose all of us to the realities of psychiatric drugs and their effects, while asking the simple question, "What do Christ (and therefore His followers) and psychiatric drugs have to do with one another?"
2 Responses
  1. Kelli Says:

    While all of these points indeed should be considered, I must still say, I am glad these medicines are available. My dad is 57 yrs old. He has been in carefully monitered psychiatric therapy for appx. 8 yrs. now, and I am absolutely convinced were it not for this medical intervention, he would surely be a patient in a psychiatric hospital somewhere. He suffers from post-traumatic-stress-disorder with hallucinations, which stems from serving 1 yr. fighting in the jungles of Vietnam, and being exposed to the chemical dubbed "Agent Orange" while there. My dad is a professed christian, I know this for sure. I also know for sure that my dad HATES being on medication and would love being able to lean on Christ alone for his health and well-being, but that is not reality for him. Although he will never be made whole until heaven, my dad is such a better person now than the man I grew up with. I feel that sometimes we are unfair to those who suffer from psychiatric disorders by attaching such a stigma to this area of health. The brain is part of the body just as the heart, lungs, etc., so why do we have a problem treating disorders that originate from there? Very rarely do I hear arguments against treating medical conditions associated with the other organs due to belief in Christ. So, there is my perspective. I am extremely thankful to GOD that HE has provided medical help for my dad and others like him, but I would praise GOD still even if the situation were different.


  2. redeemedson Says:

    Kelli,

    Thank you for your comments and thoughts on this subject. I certainly remember your father's situation from our previous conversations. Like I said in the original post, I think that there are special circumstances which call for such medicines to be employed for the health of the patient. Also, I think that there certainly are cases where prolonged use of such drugs is necessary. Your point concerning the brain as an organ is absolutely valid and there are situations in which chemical imbalances call for assistance through medicine. I also agree with your point that an unfair stigma is placed upon those who struggle with depression. After all, our culture is all about obtaining the American Dream that causes a smile to be slapped on our faces. If someone shows the slightest hint of not being happy, the person quickly becomes undesirable company for others.

    Again, I am in no way trying to purport an overly simplistic view on this subject. This issue is one that runs deep medically and emotionally. As in your case, my case, and others, it is almost impossible to think about this issue on a level that allows us to ask questions such as whether or not this is a viable option for Christians...and even for non-Christians. I believe that I can say without any objection that the psychiatric society has won the battle of determining the "playing field" of this discussion. They define the terms, tell us what is wrong with us, and tell us what is best. I am simply wondering if they are right in their assertions. I believe research and asking objective questions may prove otherwise...much like "bleeding" sick patients in the past.

    One thing that you said sticks out to me: "My dad is a professed christian, I know this for sure. I also know for sure that my dad HATES being on medication and would love being able to lean on Christ alone for his health and well-being, but that is not reality for him." I do not know many people who consistently take psychiatric drugs who actually enjoy taking them. From what I know from both personal experience and what I have read about this topic, the medicines generally work for a while, followed by an unending state of grogginess, and the medicines or the doses or both eventually are changed, which starts the process all over. While your father may never be free from the need for these medicines because of the reality I allude to above that some people may need to use these drugs under certain circumstances, I wonder if it may not be a reality for him to be released from them. As the interview series clearly demonstrates, the frightening reality is that the very doctors who are prescribing the drugs may not be in the best position to make such judgments. Again, I do not know all of his personal conditions and his medical status, and I am not saying that he should forsake the use of these medicines personally, but I am asserting that these vital questions must be asked and explored.

    You also stated, "Although he will never be made whole until heaven, my dad is such a better person now than the man I grew up with." I am thankful to know that you see improvement in his behavior and condition. Praise the Lord that you and I have the reality to cling to that you, your dad, everyone...all believers will have sweet release from the struggles of a sin-ridden and fallen world as we worship at God's throne for all of eternity.

    Finally, another one of your comments stands out: "I am extremely thankful to GOD that HE has provided medical help for my dad and others like him..." I agree with you that God has obviously made the chemicals used in these medicines, but the particular mixtures produced by combining the basic chemicals involved might not be the best product. Obviously, we would all agree that we cannot expose our bodies to harmful chemicals such as the Agent Orange that you mention. I am frightened by the possible effects of these drugs on the human body.

    I hope that you will download the audio files from St Anne's Public House and think through their assertions even if you completely disagree with them. It is an excellent "flip side" of the coin being portrayed by our current psychiatric professionals.

    Blessings to you Kelli in Christ Jesus our Lord.

    JRW.