Humorous Suffering: Is it possible?

What are some signs that your family is suffering, needs your extra effort as the father/husband, and is providing humorous moments at the same time? This is a tough combination - humor and suffering. Is it possible? I will say “yes” as a Christian father. Read my account and see if you agree.

We are now in the midst of the fourteenth day of our children suffering from a nasty virus, which produced one (so far) hospitalization, high doctors bills, and an average of four or five hours of sleep each night during that span. Fatigue has obviously descended upon us as well as a lingering sickness that rivals the Bubonic Plague. My oldest son David wept bitterly upon discovering that CS Lewis is dead and therefore will not be able to write more Narnia books. My daughter is the main culprit in the sickness escapades. My son John has been sick now for five nights along with Sally.

I came home for lunch a few minutes ago and found Sally dry-heaving at the table while trying to shove down some Cheetos. She was gagging because John was diarrheaing (is that a word?) out of his diaper while eating Cheetos. Where was my wife? I walked into the kitchen to find her huddled in the refrigerator door “cleaning” (we laughed heartily at her feeble attempt to escape).

As the semester ends, my work and school has taken a toll on my family as our circumstances have been “infected” by an intruder. We are worn out and tempted to go to a family member’s house to receive a little help in the midst of these trying times. However, we realize that no one wants us! We would infect everyone, so we have no where to go, no means of escaping. We are just left to the harsh reality of suffering. The Lord, however, has given us the grace to be patient through the past two weeks and laugh. What else can we do? My answer is “yes.” One can find humor in difficult circumstances while walking in God’s grace and ultimately trusting that, despite the unpleasant circumstance, this is what God has for you - to sanctify you and bring you closer to glory.
0 Responses