1 Degree, 1 Mission Field, 3 Churches, & 2 Denominations...

The Lord has taken my family through a sanctifying whirlwind over the past two years that makes me tear up when I recall those 730 days and their contained events. Through these tough times, Christ has become ever dearer to my soul and my attachment to the things and idols I held so dear have drifted further from my thoughts and pursuits. During the past two years, Danielle and I have experienced some minor changes in our lives.

I finished my studies at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY in 2004 and our family immediately moved to South Asia as missionaries to Muslims to pursue the calling for which I had been preparing for nine years. However, after only four months on the field, we were forced to resign from our position because our board's doctors believed my wife had experienced several strokes and possibly had a brain tumor. We returned to America without the slightest clue about what our future would hold.

Following a frantic search for a new place of ministry and contemplating other vocations to support my family, the Lord opened a door for us to move to Kentucky to work as the minister of discipleship at a large church in a seemingly quite little town. Only three months into this position, we unfortunately realized that our time there was limited as years of unaddressed sin within this congregation was coming to a head.

Simultaneously with the worsening of our situation at this church, a Presbyterian church (PCA) approached me about becoming their Director of Mercy Ministry (To learn more about Mercy Ministry and what it actually is, see the following website: http://www.davidsapple.blogspot.com/ ). Although my wife and I had been actually doing what is known as Mercy Ministry for several years, I did not have a clue that such a formally recognized ministry existed. After a few months of talking with this church's leadership and praying over the decision, we accepted the call, changing denominations, churches, and ministry pursuits in the blink of an eye. In a matter of two years, we transitioned from aspiring Southern Baptist missionaries to urban ministry within the PCA.

This decision has brought a wide variety of criticism, indifference, and encouragment from my friends depending on various issues. Why would I lead my family to make such a drastic move? We have utterly picked up our roots down to the smallest ones imaginable in leaving our church, friends, family, and even our beloved denomination. The answer can only be found in our desire to be obedient to our Lord. Honestly, I am by no means a fatalist when I say this as I hold to God's absolute sovereignty, I could do nothing other than follow in obedience to this position through His leading. Obviously we have to follow our convictions concerning Scripture, but what happens when the Lord overrides our convictions? What happens when God's sovereign hand outweighs what we think we should never do, specifically in my case, leave one's denomination? I am certainly not a paedobaptist (although I must admit that my polity has always aligned more closely with the Presbyterians than the Congregationalists) and I am by no means a disgruntled baptist, which is seemingly the source from which the PCA in the South gains most of its members. I do not understand why the Lord has brought about this in our lives, but we know that He has (anyone knowing our previous situation and having had conversations with me through all of it knows that this opportunity was not my creation or a decision made flipantly). I pray that you will find refuge in our good and faithful Creator when he calls you to trod through difficult decisions and circumstances for His name's sake (1 Peter 4:12-19). May we never think ourselves wiser than our Lord. Samuel Rutherford penned the following poem that brings comfort during such times,
Inscrutable the ways of God,
Beyond the mind of man!
For who can read His hidden thought
Or search His secret plan?
I had one joy, one garland fair,
The flower I loved the best,
But in a single hour Christ came
And plucked it to His breast.

I dare not say the Lord has quenched
My candle's flickering glow,
Or cast His waters on the coals
That burnt already low;
And still I wrestle to believe
A veiled and covered God,
But faint my heart, my faith bowed down
Beneath the pressing load.

O that my Lord might smile again,
His love upon me pour;
Come home to this afflicted heart,
Bring summer back once more!
Then would I preach with unloosed tongue
His beauty and His power,
My withered branc would bud anew
And bear another flower.

Yet God in wisdowm chose for me
This furnace and this flame,
And doubting not His choice the best,
I greet it in His name.
So will I praise Him for this stroke,
Till Christ at length appears
To turn my long captivity
An dry His people's tears.

6 Responses
  1. What a journey this has been! I am thankful to say, at this moment, I am joyful to be where we are. I am thankful for all that the Lord has shown us through this time. We should write a book!


  2. bcripps Says:

    Be encouraged! You've a story to tell the nations, and a Savior that has bore no less.

    Paul said this in 2 Corinthians 4:
    "1 Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. 2 But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God. 3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. 4 In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. 5 For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. 6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

    7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. 8 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. 11 For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. 12 So death is at work in us, but life in you.

    13 Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak, 14 knowing that he who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and bring us with you into his presence. 15 For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God.

    16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. 17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, 18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

    We love you guys, and are glad that your willingness to serve the God of the universe is not limited to only a portion of that universe.

    Ben


  3. redeemedson Says:

    Thanks Ben. You have been a wonderful friend to me during the past year and a half. Thank you for listening to me and guiding me with your well-timed advice.

    Thanks Danielle. You are an enormous blessing to me from our Lord. I can't imagine a better spouse...well maybe if you brought me hot coffee every morning during my studies.


  4. Ryan,

    Don't be discouraged by any denominationally-devoted naysayers! Things are changing, but the most important thing remains the most important thing: the gospel. I support your decision wholeheartedly.


  5. CEW Says:

    Jim,

    I hope that you count me among one of the friends who has been encouraging. However, I am holding you to what you said about "certainly" not being a paedobaptist.

    B. Wayne


  6. redeemedson Says:

    Brad (or Cassie????),

    I hope you do and I will hold you to the fact that you are not the weird sort of person that has an alternate name, thus the girl's signin name.